The New Grove Dictionary of Opera
Edited by The late Stanley Sadie
- Over 1,800 operas are discussed from the late 16th century Florentine Camerata, through the great 18th and 19th century operas, to contemporary works such as the minimalist theatre pieces of Philip Glass
- The lives and careers of over 2900 composers are discussed in depth, with entries containing critical assessments as well as discussion of their individual careers and major achievements
- Profiles of every singer who has made a significant contribution to opera are included, from Francesco Rasi in the 1600s to Luciano Pavarotti in the 1990s
- Two unrivaled indices of character names and arias make it the most useful and user-friendly opera dictionary available
- Illustrated throughout with rare photographs, reproductions of original posters, set and costume designs, and scenes from recent performances
There are no reviews yet.